<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

What up. Keep up the survey, but change it a little.
First of all, I want to list 4 from my top ten, not neccissarily my ultimate top three because I don't think I can narrow it down that far. And I want to talk about them. Ok.

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth III (Coheed and Cambria): The thing I like about the concept album genre is it functions not only as music but as a linear story too, and this album can be taken either way. The story may be convoluted and impossible to understand, but its still pretty cool in my book. Plus I just happen to be a fan of alternative punk and this is an album I can listen to start to finish and be satisfied with, both the upbeat tracks and the ballads. Some CD's force me to skip stuff, but every song here is a gem.

On and On (Jack Johnson): This was the epitome of an impulse buy, the album cover looked cool so I bought it. And then it turned out that the mellow relaxed sound of the album was a style I fell in love with. The whole CD may be very similar track by track, but its more because of stylistic and instrumental shading than every song being the same. Johnson just knows what style he loves, and I'd be content with just him and a guitar. I like his other work too, but this is the only CD I can again, listen to start to finish.

Crash (Dave Mathews): This is the best Dave album. I know its played out in many peoples minds but this was one of my first albums that I really felt passionate about. Daves vocals and songwriting style were things I idolized for a long time, and his instrumentation, the band, is a mix of a bunch of genres I love, acoustic/electic rock, jazz, and even sometimes bluegrass. This album is my absolute favorite of theirs.

The Roots Come Alive (The Roots): Contains all the best work of The Roots, while fully capturing their unique sound and awesome live playing. I love that they have a drummer, I love their songs, and this is the album to get it all. As Matty K wisely instructed, its impossible to appreciate this album unless you listen to everything that came before it. Then you see the studio work really "come alive". Amazing lyrics and crisp vocals by Black Thought, who I'd be if I could be any rapper in the world.

Remember kids, music is a PREFERENCE. Don't be a music snob and downplay other peoples favorite stuff, I have to listen to that in every music business class and it pisses me off. You can like whatever you want. Unless you think Ashley Simpson can really sing, or that Kanye West wrote the background vocals in Golddigger and never heard the Ray Charles song called "I Got a Woman". Then I hate you.

P.S. Adam talk about your favorites too.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

This counter provided for free from HTMLcounter.com!
HTMLCounter.com

[ Sign My Guestbook] [ View My Guestbook]